Avoid Phone Scams
If you receive a call from USAble Mutual Insurance Company we want you to be
certain it really is from us. There are several things we will never do on a telephone
call, a number of things we will do, and there is a quick way you can verify a call
if you aren’t 100 percent sure it’s us.
We will NEVER
- Ask for a bank account number*
- Ask for an entire Social Security number
- Ask health information without first verifying your identity
- Call after 9 p.m. CST
We will ALWAYS
- Introduce ourselves and the company we represent
- Identify your health plan if it is through an employer. Example: “This is Mary Jones
from USAble Mutual Insurance Company calling about your plan with ABC Distributors…”
- Advise that the call is being recorded for training and quality purposes
- (Nurses only) Verify your identity before discussing protected health information
This means you may be asked for your member ID, last four of your Social Security
number, your date of birth or your address.
- (Nurses only) Give medical credentials. The nurse who calls you also may mention
your primary care doctor by name
What you can do
If you receive a call and you aren’t 100 percent sure it’s from us, you can ask
for a confirmation number, hang up, call the number listed on the back of your member
ID card and then provide the confirmation number to the Customer Service representative
who answers to be directed back to the representative who called you. It only takes
a few minutes and you will be certain you are talking to us!
* On rare occasions, Customer Service representatives with the Exchange may call a member whose payment was short to give them a chance to pay the difference. Identity is always clearly verified by telling the member the amount previously paid.